Durban had a tramway system that linked different areas to the town centre. The trams for Musgrave Road, Umbilo, Toll Gate and Overport departed from the corner of Gardiner and West Street, next to the Post Office. The trams to Marriot Road, Stamford Hill and Umgeni left from the opposite side of the road while the trams for the Beach and the Point areas started from Gardiner Street outside the Post Office. In those days children all went to school by tram, using season’s tickets which were coloured pink, blue, green or yellow for the four school terms. They were bought at the tramway office which used to be next to the Post Office but later demolished to make way for extensions to the Post Office. The tickets, printed on 8×5 cm linen-backed cards and costing 25c, were supposed to be worn in the school hatband or pasted inside one’s school case.
Early 20th Century Public Transport in Durban
- South Africa To Launch National Traditional Knowledge Recording System
- Tokoloshe / Tikoloshe (evil spirit)
- Archival Aspirations and Anxieties: Contemporary Preservation and Production of the Past in Umbumbulu, KwaZulu-Natal
- Durban – A paradise and its people
- International Day For Monuments and Sites
Leave a Reply Click here to cancel reply.
- Amaphupho nezincazelo zawo June 22, 2012
- Izithakazelo June 19, 2012
- Request for information on the Majola clan May 18, 2012
- Research Masters students in Local Economic Development or Idigenous Knowledge December 15, 2009
- Mafukuzela Day at Ohlange High School, Inanda March 3, 2011
- South Africa To Launch National Traditional Knowledge Recording System May 14, 2013
- Tokoloshe / Tikoloshe (evil spirit) May 10, 2013
- New Manager of Durban International Film Festival Announced May 10, 2013
- IsiZulu idioms May 9, 2013
- Sounds of Durban May 8, 2013
- Zibuyile Msani: Ngingawutholaphi umlando wakwa Msani ophelele ngic...
- bongiwe: pliz lemme knw izithakazelo zakwa Luthuli.....
- SIMPHIWE: Please kwabanolwazi ngezithakazo zakwaGama nomlan...
- Adelaide Goba: I was listening to Mr Goba,s interview,and I felt ...
- sphe: Ngcela ukwaz iythakazelo zakwa Mbuyisa...
2010 Adams Mission amaphupho Anton Lembede blog Clan Praises COP17 DIFF Durban Durban International Film Festival Durban Sings Ela Gandhi featured Gcina Mhlophe Heritage Day heritage map ICT IKS Imagine Durban inanda indigenous games indigenous knowledge indigenous people Izibongo izithakazelo John Dube living legends Lulu Dube Memories of Inanda peter machen research Sangoma School's Project soccer South African Indians statistics Surnames technology traditional medicine Ulwazi Umbumbulu umhlonyane Unesco wiki Zulu
Highway Africa New Media Award
The Ulwazi Programme was runner-up at the 2012 Highway Africa New Media Awards, in the category 'Community Engagement with Technology'.