While diplomats are trying to find consensus on an international instrument to protect traditional knowledge at the World Intellectual Property Organization, some countries are establishing systems to protect their traditional knowledge domestically. South Africa will be launching on 24 May its National Recordal System to catalogue its indigenous knowledge. The National Recordal System (NRS) is an initiative [...]
Tag Archives | indigenous knowledge
Mombasa, Kenya, 15-20 July 2010 ISOLA – The International Society for the Oral Literatures of Africa hosts this conference on Indigenous Knowledges and Intellectual Property Rights in the Age of Globalization. For all enquiries, contact the local conference organizers: Dr. Peter Wasamba Department of Literature University of Nairobi Tel: +254202245311 Tel: +254722734121 Fax: +2540202245566 E-mail: [...]
A South African community is to challenge German homeopathic giant Schwabe Pharmaceuticals in court in Munich next week over a traditional medicine the company is seeking to patent. The case could set a precedent in cases in which multinationals use the plants and indigenous knowledge of developing countries, where laws may not protect communities’ intellectual [...]
Temperatures dropped and big, unseasonal flakes of snow swirled in the breeze earlier this week in Copenhagen, turning skies gray and streets slippery. But the change discussed in conversations wherever you go in this ornately decorated city is not the week’s weather but the coming century’s climate. Nowhere does climate change feel more ominous than [...]
Nine DM2009 winners will use the centuries-old knowledge of Indigenous Peoples to adapt to destructive climate change — but often leveraged with modern science and technology. Here’s how old and new will be joined in several winning projects. Read the full article at The World Bank blog …
- Amaphupho nezincazelo zawo June 22, 2012
- Izithakazelo June 19, 2012
- Request for information on the Majola clan May 18, 2012
- Research Masters students in Local Economic Development or Idigenous Knowledge December 15, 2009
- Mafukuzela Day at Ohlange High School, Inanda March 3, 2011
- South Africa To Launch National Traditional Knowledge Recording System May 14, 2013
- Tokoloshe / Tikoloshe (evil spirit) May 10, 2013
- New Manager of Durban International Film Festival Announced May 10, 2013
- IsiZulu idioms May 9, 2013
- Sounds of Durban May 8, 2013
- Zibuyile Msani: Ngingawutholaphi umlando wakwa Msani ophelele ngic...
- bongiwe: pliz lemme knw izithakazelo zakwa Luthuli.....
- SIMPHIWE: Please kwabanolwazi ngezithakazo zakwaGama nomlan...
- Adelaide Goba: I was listening to Mr Goba,s interview,and I felt ...
- sphe: Ngcela ukwaz iythakazelo zakwa Mbuyisa...